A Mighty Super-Food: 7 Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
Don’t underestimate nutritional powerhouse, the teeny, tiny chia seed. They might look like tiny little flavorless pebbles, but they should be anything but dusted off your dinner plate. Think of them as the mighty ants of the superfood kingdom because they carry 50x their weight in nutrition power.
Adding chia seeds to your life can be an easy way to boost your health, break yourself out of a dietary rut, and get your glow on! They are slowly climbing their way to the top of many lists as a potent fighter of disease in addition to these 7 key health benefits:
- Plant-based protein source. Each 2-tablespoon serving of chia seeds has about 6g of protein. For vegans, vegetarians, and animal lovers everywhere, this is good news.
- Gluten-free source of fiber. Finding dense sources of fiber can be tricky when you’re gluten-free. Chia seeds come to the rescue with about 5g of fiber inside the same 2-tablespoon serving.
- Stable mood and energy levels. Chia seeds will form a gel in your stomach, which can improve blood sugar regulation and slow the release of glucose into your bloodstream and improve insulin sensitivity.
- High in omega 3 fatty acids. In fact, they are the densest source in nature with about 5g per serving. Omega 3s are critical when it comes to flexible arteries and fighting heart disease.
- Fight metabolic syndrome. Chia seeds give you a helping hand here by supporting lower blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar after meals.
- Micronutrient mosaic! These tiny babies are loaded with calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, phosphorous and folic acid, just to name a few. Think of those nutrients as an army in your body building strong bones and teeth, improving cardiovascular health, and decreasing stress.
- Dietary diversity. Just as intriguing as their nutrition profile is the number of endless ways to include them in your daily diet! They make an excellent addition to any breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert, snack or smoothie.
What if you don’t like chia seeds or want to buy them separately?
We’ve got excellent news for you because we’ve included chia as one of the 36 potent superfood phytochemicals in our Skinny Shake™ formula! If you’re not in the mood to invest in a pack of chia seeds, or the flavor or texture doesn’t tickle your fancy, know that you can still gain some of these benefits every time you shake your Skinny!